Through baptism, Jesus calls on us all to be missioners — He calls some of us to a uniquely enriching life overseas serving God’s children most in need as missionary priests.
We have served in lands affected by World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War and other conflicts around the globe–Maryknollers have been imprisoned, tortured and even killed. But the enthusiastic and joyful dedication of Maryknollers to their apostolic calling has never diminished as they carry the Gospel and witness the mercy and compassion of Jesus to Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- We live side-by-side with the poor, the suffering, and the powerless
- We work side-by-side combating poverty, providing healthcare, building communities and advancing peace and social justice as a living witness to God’s Love
For over 10 decades, more than 2,000 men have been ordained to the Maryknoll missionary priesthood (and, several hundred more have taken oaths as Brothers).
Our call to mission is compassion at work!
If you feel this is the kind of global spiritual journey for which God is calling you, we invite you to join us in our works of compassion around the world.
If you are young, single, Catholic man living in the United States and hear the call of God to explore priesthood, consider the unique path of Maryknollers as a life of overseas mission.
As you discern your vocational call, you may want to ask yourself these questions:
- Do I have an understanding of our Catholic Faith?
- Do I have a commitment now to those who are less fortunate, and do I participate in some type of volunteer work?
- Do I have an openness to people of other cultures, to people who have other visions of the world and ways of living?
- Could I attain the skills needed to live a celibate life that will make me totally accessible to those in need?
- If you think this could be your calling, do consider these requirements for priesthood vocations with Maryknoll:
- An undergraduate degree that includes requirements in philosophy and theology
- Earn a Master of Divinity Degree through Theological Studies
- Take part in an Overseas Training Program for 2 – 3 years, gaining practical experience of overseas missionary life
Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have about the path to priesthood as a Maryknoller.