Want to Serve God and the Church in Overseas Mission?
The Maryknoll Society is perceived by many to uniquely reflect the missionary spirit and engagement of the U.S. Catholic Church. Since 1965, we’ve welcomed U.S. priests who desire the opportunity to work in overseas mission.
Maryknoll Priest/Brother Associates program offers religious priests and Brothers, as well as diocesan priests, who have been trained and ordained elsewhere the opportunity to work in overseas mission for a 3-5 year period of time.
Becoming a Maryknoll Associate Priest or Brother offers a unique chance to…
- Answer Christ’s call to proclaim the Good News to all nations
- Serve three to five years representing your diocese or community in Asia, Africa or Latin America
- Walk in solidarity with people overseas and work together with Maryknoll Missioners
- Enrich your own vocation through this service and solidarity
- Return to your community with insights and experiences that will strengthen your ministry
Priests or Brothers ordained or professed for at least three to five years and in reasonably good health are eligible for Maryknoll’s Associate Program. Other requirements of the Associate Program include:
- Permission of your bishop or religious superior
- Willing to go overseas for 3-5 years
- Willing to live in a foreign culture and learn a foreign language
If you’re interested, a Maryknoll Vocation Minister will respond with a phone call or personal visit.
Download our Associate Program brochure (PDF)
Maryknoll encourages participating in a discernment program to help clarify your motives and examine the reality of mission overseas. Afterwards, if you and Maryknoll agree you are ready, you will participate in a mission orientation program at Maryknoll, NY, prior to your departure on overseas assignment.
Formal acceptance into the Associate Program will entail a three-way contract agreement between you, your bishop or religious superior and Maryknoll. Associates enjoy all the same rights, privileges, and obligations as a Society Member (less voting for Society superiors) and have full voting rights in the Maryknoll Region where they are assigned on matters concerning the apostolate.
Fr. Dan Chapin (pictured, on left), Maryknoll’s newest Priest Associate, previously spent 10 years of mission service in Mollendo, Peru where his diocese staffed a parish. We welcome Fr. Dan as he returns to mission now with us for the next 5 years as a Maryknoll Associate!