(Guatemala) Rescue the Natural Ecosystem
The primary objective of this project is to encourage families within the confines of the Parish of Remate to change their living habits toward a more sustainable management of the local natural ecosystem.
Our goals are:
• to eliminate the sale of junk food at eight local primary schools (El Caoba, Paxcaman, Ixlu, Macanche, El Naranjo, El Triunfo, El Porvenir and El Remate)
• to diminish the production of solid waste (particularly plastics)
• to reduce the accumulation of garbage on the banks of Lake Itza (Remate)
• to reduce household sewage channeled into septic tanks by 50 families in the communities of Remate, Macanche, Caoba, El Triunfo, Paxcaman, and Ixlu
Ways on how we can achieve these goals:
• develop project activities to curb the contamination of the natural ecosystem, especially the lakes and lagoons (Salpeten, Macanche, and the SE bank of Lake Peten Itza)
• build awareness in the student population on how to reduce waste
• promote change on a political level with community authorities
• increase conscience-raising messages to the general public on proper disposal of waste
• provide garbage disposals near the touristy shores of the lakes and lagoons
Your gift will help protect the natural ecosystem in Guatemala.