(Cambodia) Seedling of Hope – Youth Project
Seedling of Hope Youth helps orphans and vulnerable children affected by and infected with HIV/AIDS in Cambodia. Maryknoll continues to provide food, security, education, medical and psychosocial support to orphaned and vulnerable children.
Most of the children live with a remaining parent who is HIV+ or an extended family member (i.e. grandmother). 26 children live in Maryknoll sponsored group homes, foster homes or transitional homes to independent living for youth. They have no family with whom to live. In addition, newborn babies benefit from the Prevention of Parent to Child Transmission component of the project. Without Maryknoll's intervention, many of these children would not be alive today and many others would not be in school.
- 238 orphaned and vulnerable children benefited from the program
- 25 youths are studying in the university
- 38 students in vocational skills training
- 23 children in primary school
- 73 children in secondary school
- 78 in high school
- 1 in special education
- Workshops conducted:
- Child Rights
- Positive Discipline
- Being a Girl
- Love and Right Relationships
- Good Manners
- Self-Development for young females
- Wildlife and Eco Conservation
- Experimental science learnings at Kids City
- Disability workshop conducted by Handicap International
Seedling of Hope Youth has saved many children from a life on the streets or scavenging garbage to survive. Your gift makes a difference!