|About Maryknoll and This Position
The Maryknoll Society is seeking a seasoned and enthusiastic individual with a deep passion for the art of user-centric design melded with solid programming/technical talents. You will possess and apply refined UX design skills, an understanding of SEO fundamentals, and back-end technical experience to actively collaborate with the Director of Media on strategic direction, planning, execution, and leadership on all online initiatives.
You should be able to work in a fast paced environment with changing priorities and tight deadlines and be comfortable wearing many hats. You will be part of a small, collaborative group, working closely with our Art department and producers of content to translate marketing and audience-relationship strategies into creative, fruitful experiences. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker, obsessed with tailoring impactful user experiences, and is highly fluent with WordPress. This is a full-time position based in Ossining, NY 10562.
The right individual for this role will be a detail-oriented problem solver, have a high level of accountability, successfully prioritize tasks, have a strong desire to learn, and take extreme pride in his or her own work.
- Leading. You’ll champion UX throughout the organization, driving change for the benefit of our distinct audiences. You’ll become an expert on our users’ attitudes, expectations, and behaviors. You enjoy teaching others about crafting valuable experiences and the benefits that user-centric thinking can bring.
- Data and observations. You’ll translate research, evidence, and analytics into effective decisions and execution. You’re able to validate designs for ease of use and ability to deliver real value to users.
- Continual refinement and evolution. You’ll collaborate on plans and processes to constantly improve usability, enhance messaging & conversion pathways, as well as create functional, simple solutions to complex issues. You’ll think through user personas and scenarios to clarify focus on the needs of key users.
- Inventive yet practical. You’ll leverage creativity to maximize the UX and overall value of source content, will also mindful of the logistics of execution to ensure the technical feasibility of your UI/UX ideas and, as well as advise on the ideas and designs of others.
- Sharing your work. You jump at the chance to share what you’ve done and can provide a strong rationale for the decisions you have made.
- Demonstrated understanding of interactive/email design best practices and usability principles.
- A portfolio that demonstrates an ability to compose clean, modern, and thoughtful interfaces across differing browsers and devices.
- Expert in web standards and front-end best practices. This includes expertise in HTML5, CSS3, and PHP
- Empathy, curiosity, and critical thinking. You gain satisfaction from taking on other peoples problems and finding ways to help them achieve their goals.
- Passion for excellence and a keen appreciation for the details that make up a great experience.
- Able to work autonomously, and multitask in dynamic environments.
- Exceptional collaborator, communicator (written and verbal), and influencer.
- Overall mastery of WordPress, with expertise in deployment, customization, and management of WordPress “child” themes, page templates, and plug-ins. Some experience with other CMS platforms, such as Joomla, is also desirable.
- 5+ years experience in UX/UI development role
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools, to be able to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image. Familiarity with tools such as Photoshop
- Good understanding of Foundational SEO principles and practices, as well as the concept (and importance) of “page authority”
- E-mail formatting (such as HTML tables, fonts, and photo resolution & resizing, optimizing for mail client viewability, small mail sizes and successful delivery)
- Solid understanding of Google Analytics implementation and best practices, with experience in source/ad tagging of inbound campaign traffic, as well as tracking of on-page interaction and desired user behaviors.
- Some experience with 3rd party physical and cloud-based hosting providers, such as GoDaddy, Google Docs, WP Engine.
- Strong MS Office skills also required.
- Email Marketing platform administration (such as MailChimp or ConstantContact)
- Familiarity/fluency in Spanish
- API integration
- Execution of A|B testing
- Demonstrated experience with CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap
- Experience with non-profit organizations / cause marketing
- Domain name registrations and maintenance
- Site speed optimization and/or site caching techniques
- Development and implementation of new or updated functionality; intuitive, functional, and visually appealing user interfaces (e.g. site pages/templates, wireframes, email designs for Maryknoll’s online presence. This may range from a small aesthetic update to major programmatic efforts involving multiple stakeholders.
- Active collaboration with other team members and stake holders throughout Maryknoll in order to quantify effort, establish timelines, and deliver solutions. In some cases, negotiating with colleagues and stakeholders to arrive at the best solution.
- Independent management of time and tasks against deadlines and deliverables. In some cases, leading others in the completion of a project.
- Conduct extensive browser compatibility testing and mobile/responsive quality assurance
- Acts in a leadership capacity: Mentoring less experienced team members; and guiding other staff on the potential and best practices of digital
- Stay abreast of new web technologies and UX techniques.
- Development of new/enhanced content experiences for existing web properties.
- The use of project assets, including visual comps, wireframes, prototypes, user testing, and audience analysis to test and validate design decisions.
- Proactive engagement with third party providers, and Maryknoll IT staff as necessary during implementation projects.
- Support in the development and evolution of Maryknoll’s audience relationships and digital standards & best practices.